Yield: approximately six 4” waffles (recipe is easily doubled)
(Batter must be made approximately 12 hours prior to cooking)
1 cup milk
4 tbsp butter
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp instant yeast
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Whisk lightly to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and vanilla. Set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Add milk. Warm over low heat until just lukewarm.
- Gradually whisk warmed butter and milk into dry ingredients.
- Add egg and vanilla to mixture, whisking just until batter is smooth.
- Using rubber scraper, scrape down sides of bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, approximately 12 hours.
- In the morning prepare waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. When waffle iron is ready, deflate refrigerated batter by whisking lightly. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions, approximately ¼ cup batter for each 4” waffle.