8 oz. (1 stick) butter or butter substitute. (I use Earth Balance)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine vanilla, espresso powder, and water. Stir to make sure espresso powder is dissolved. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until butter lightens.
- Scrape the bowl. Add the egg and corn syrup and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Scrape bowl, add water / vanilla/ espresso mixture, and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Add to mixing bowl, and mix on low until combined.
- Working in small batches, roll dough on floured board to 1/8” thin. Cut with cookie cutters, transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets, sprinkle with sugar, bake for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on racks.
- When cool, fill with buttercream (recipe below.) To make S’mores, using a spoon, paint the bottom cookie with melted chocolate, allow to cool. Then add 1 teaspoon of orange-tinted Italian meringue or Marshmallow Fluff. Top with another cookie.
1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
2-3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, 1 tablespoon of milk, vanilla, and sugar until creamy.
- If necessary add the remainder of the milk until frosting is spreadable.
- To tint the frosting orange, add 12 drops of yellow food coloring and 4 drops of red food coloring. Repeat this step until the color is as intense as you want it.